Can I change my UK driving licence to a Spanish one?

Can I change my UK driving licence to a Spanish one?

Can I change my UK driving licence to a Spanish one?

Irrespective of whether a UK licence has been verified for exchange by the end of the year, you will be able to drive in Spain using your UK licence for 6 months from 1 January 2021. The future rules on exchange and recognition of UK licences are still subject to negotiation. Good News!

How do I change my driving Licence to Spanish?

The local authorities request the following documents:

  1. application form.
  2. identity card or passport.
  3. proof of residence.
  4. the valid driving license.
  5. two recent photographs.
  6. declaration that you haven’t been banned or suspended from driving.
  7. declaration that you don’t hold another driver’s license in another country.

Can I exchange my UK driving licence for a Spanish one 2021?

If your UK or Gibraltar licence was issued before 1 January 2021, you can exchange your licence without having to take a test. You need to do this within 180 days of taking up residency in Denmark, or by 30 June 2021, whichever is later.

Are UK driving Licences valid in Spain?

“We are pleased that the Spanish Government yesterday announced that UK licences will continue to be recognised until October 31st 2021 for those of you who were resident in Spain before December 31st 2020 – even if you did not get your residency document until after the end of the Transition Period.

Can I use my UK driving licence in Spain after Brexit?

Will my driving licence be valid? Yes, most UK drivers are still able to use their normal driving licence to drive in EU countries. There are some exceptions and what is called an International Driving Permit (IDP) may be needed. An IDP can be bought at Post Offices for £5.50.

How much does a Spanish driving Licence cost?

The fee for the renewal of a Spanish driving license is €23.50 unless the person is over 70 years old, in which case it is free of charge.

Can I still claim benefits if I move to Spain?

If you’re living in Spain then you are still eligible to apply for PIP or DLA for children. To claim PIP you can call the Department of Work and Pensions either from the UK or from overseas between the hours and 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Can I drive a Spanish registered car in Spain with a UK license?

In all cases, whether you live in Spain, or are just visiting, to legally drive a UK registered car in Spain, you must of course have a valid driving licence, and the vehicle must be road legal in the UK, i.e. taxed, with valid MOT and insurance.

Can I still retire to Spain after Brexit?

Yes, you can still retire to Spain after Brexit but the conditions are more stringent and complicated. They involve showing proof of income and savings to show that you can support yourself in Spain. Healthcare is also an issue and receiving your pension if you are not already a resident of Spain.

When do I need to change my UK driving licence to Spain?

If you live in Spain and have a valid UK driving licence, this will be recognised for driving in Spain until 30 June 2021. If you wish to exchange your UK licence for a Spanish one, the process to follow depends on whether you registered your intention to exchange with the Spanish Traffic Authority (DGT) before 30 December 2020.

When do you need to change your license in the UK?

As long as your application has been submitted before 30 December, and the UK authorities have verified your licence by the end of the year, your appointment to exchange your licence can be after 1 January 2021, provided it is within the first 6 months of next year.

How long does it take to get a Spanish driving licence?

After registering as resident, their international licence will only be valid for 6 months and they will have to obtain a Spanish driving permit. This will involve having to take both theory and practice exams.

Where do I go to exchange my Spanish driving licence?

Submit your application to exchange to the DGT (Spanish Traffic Authority) before 30 December. You can do this: electronically via the DGT’s online portal (if you have a digital signature ‘firma digital’ or In some provinces, you may be able to submit your application in person at your local office.