Why is ping not working?
Why is ping not working?
If it won’t respond to PING on a local network (ethernet, usually), then it could be a Firewall setting. I assume you are running Windows? In Windows XP, you can disable/enable ICMP packets. When you PING it sends an ICMP packet, which some some firewalls will filter.
Why can I not ping an IP address?
Causes: This issue is typically caused by a problem with domain name server (DNS) resolution because the Internet service provider’s DNS servers are unavailable or a problem with the security software (usually a firewall) running on the computer which is attempting to access the Internet.
How do I enable ping?
- Search for Windows Firewall , and click to open it. Note:
- Click Advanced Settings on the left.
- From the left pane of the resulting window, click Inbound Rules.
- In the right pane, find the rules titled File and Printer Sharing (Echo Request – ICMPv4-In).
- Right-click each rule and choose Enable Rule.
How do you troubleshoot ping?
To use ping, just type ping and then the host you are trying to reach. For example, if you are having trouble connecting to a website, you could try and ping the URL of that website (see example below). Those four replies show that the network and internet connection is good and that the server is reachable.
How do I troubleshoot ping request timed out?
How to Fix the Ping Error Request Timed Out?
- Ping Another address from your computer. You should check whether you can ping any other address from your computer.
- Ping the Localhost. Type cmd on Windows search.
- Disable the Firewall and Check for the issue.
- Power Cycle the Network.
Can ping from but not to?
Make sure the firewall on the pc is either turned off, or configured to allow ICMP traffic. Certain security software can also cause this as they may have firewall capabilty as well, so if the windows firewall is already off, check for that too.
What is ping blocking?
WAN Ping Blocking feature prevents Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) pings to the Wide Area Network (WAN) interface of the WTM652G/NA. This is ideal for preventing unwanted attacks from the Internet when the gateway is left online for extended period of time.
Does firewall affect ping?
Since your firewall checks most of the data packets that your computer sends and receives, this process can end up taking more time than necessary. Disabling firewalls that directly monitor web traffic, in particular, will lower your ping.