How old is Beckenham Place?

How old is Beckenham Place?

How old is Beckenham Place?

114c. 1907
Beckenham Place Park/Age

When was Beckenham palace built?

about 1773
(Formerly listed as Beckenham Place, partly listed in Borough of Lewisham dated 30.8. 54.) This mansion was built about 1773 for John Cator (1728-1806). It is rather similar to Damson Park, Welling, Bexley, designed by Sir Robert Taylor in 1765 and may be by him.

When did Beckenham park Golf Course close?

October 2016
But in the late 2000s golf seemed to lose its allure and the local authority decided – amid much protest – to close the course and restore the park for the benefit of the wider community. As the course died its slow death, dog walkers would roam the fairways. The course finally closed in October 2016.

Are you allowed to cycle in Beckenham Place Park?

We encourage sustainable means of travel to the park. Bicycle parking racks are located in the Homestead courtyard, outside the entrance to the Mansion and also at the back of it. There are shared paths where cyclists are welcome to cycle. There is also a BMX track on the eastern side of the park.

Why is Beckenham called Beckenham?

The place-name ‘Beckenham’ is first attested in a Saxon charter of 862 as Biohhahema mearc. The settlement is referred to as Bacheham in the Domesday Book of 1086, and in the Textus Roffensis as Becceham. The name is thought to derive from Beohha’s homestead (Beohha + ham in Old English).

Is BR3 London or Kent?

BR3 is located in the county of Greater London, in England. Greater London has a total population of 8,778,500, making it the 1st largest county in the UK. Greater London has a total area of 606 square miles, and a population density of 5594 people per square kilometre.

Who bought Beckingham Palace?

Neil Utley
The house, with 17 acres of grounds, was bought by the insurance tycoon Neil Utley, chairman of Hastings Direct, and Narmali Utley for £11.35 million in 2014.

Who lived in Beckenham Place Park?

The mansion remained with the Cator family until the 20th century, although inhabited by tenants for most of the 19th century – including a boys school and sanitorium in the early 20th century – before being bought by London County Council in 1927.

Are there toilets at Beckenham Place Park?

Toilets. Public toilets are available in the Homestead courtyard.

Does Beckenham Place Park have toilets?

The toilets in the Homesteads are now open daily between 9.30am and 8pm.

What is Beckenham famous for?

Open spacesAlthough close to central London, Beckenham has several areas of parkland. In Kelsey Park, the landscaped gardens and lake attract many forms of wildlife and there are tennis courts, a crazy golf course, plus a caf and children’s playground.

Is Beckenham in Kent or Greater London?

Beckenham is a town in south east London within the London Borough of Bromley. It borders the London Borough of Lewisham. It lies north west of Bromley and is located 8.4 miles (13.5 km) south east of Charing Cross.

What is the history of Beckenham Place Park?

Hence the railway effectively divides the park into West and East. Beckenham Place Park is the surviving nucleus of what was once a large estate of park and farm land. The history of the park and its environs is extensive and is covered in other Friends publications and the About and History pages on this site.

Where can I find information on Beckenham history?

A special thanks to Simon Finch of Bromley Library for the use photographs from the archives. The site includes images from the Marie Edwards and The Durling Collections. Thanks also to Tony Johns for permission to use the works of H. Rob Copeland.

What was the name of the boys school at Beckenham Place?

The Nunhead to Shortlands railway line is constructed, bisecting the park. Beckenham Place is listed as Craven College, a boys school. Norwood Sanatorium occupied the Mansion and Homesteads, and much of the park was used by Foxgrove Golf Club.

Who is the owner of Beckenham Place in Lewisham?

In the long term, we understand Lewisham Council hope to obtain significant funds to fully restore the Mansion as well. The Mansion was built for John Cator, circa 1760 – 1762. John Cator (21 March 1728 – 26 February 1806) was an English timber merchant, landowner and politician who sat in the House of Commons between 1772 and 1793.